1 pie crust
4 eggs at room tempurature
1 14oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh or bottle lime juice
4 tablespoons sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 (butter 8 inch pie pan if you're making one. I just used a pre-made graham cracker one :)). While the pie crust is baking prepare the filling.
2. In a large bowl, place 1 whole egg and 3 egg yolks.
3. In a medium bowl, place 2 egg whites (I used all three)
4. Beat the whole egg and egg yolks with a wire whisk until thick and fluffy.
5. Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until stiff and dry.
6. Add the condensed milk to the beaten yolks, beating until the well mixed.
7. Slowly add the lime juice in a thin stream, beating until the mixture thickens. Fold in 2 tablespoons of the beaten egg whites. Set aside the remainder of the egg whites.
8. Reduce the oven to 325 degrees (I guess if you're not making a crust you can just set it for 325 in the first place).
9. Spoon the custard unto the pie crust. Place in the oven for 5 minutes to form a slight skin on top of the filling.
10. While the pie is in the oven, add the sugar to the remaining egg whites (remember, if there is any part of the egg yolk in the egg whites, they won't whip right) and beat well.
11. Remove the pie from the oven and swirl the meringue over the custard surface, anchoring it to the crust along the edge to prevent shrinkage.
12. Return the pie to the oven, and bake for another 15 mins or until the surface of the meringue is a light tan.
13. Remove from oven and place on cake rack. Cool to room temperature before serving (actually refrigerated tastes better).