Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

9.20.2010

Trying to make a difference

I am a nurse.

I gave medicine to help a person die. I gave medicine to help a person live.

I bathed a person, knowing she didn't care. I bathed a person, knowing she was ashamed and bashful.

I reprimanded an alcoholic for cussing at me. I looked into the eyes of a stroke victim and seen the words that could not be said.

I fed a patient while the "loving" family watched and muttered under their breath. I fed a patient while no one bother to call or visit, not even when the joyful news of discharge came.

I sent a person for a minor surgery, and never had them return. I sent a person for major surgery, and watched them walk to their car.

I comforted a family member while their family died. I comforted a family member while their family lived.

I sought to set some nasties straight, I ended up doing them a favor and acting like it was no big deal.

I stood my ground when berated for our policies.

I watched a patient get well and move out; worsen and come back; recover and move out; and return sick again; we sent him out once again. I hope I never get to see him again.

I saw death kept away until all the family was seen. I saw death come while family rushed in. I saw death come after family left him alone.

I am a person. I am trying to make a difference, and I don't think I could ever do anything else.

1 comment:

  1. Just read this post 10 minutes ago, and have been thinking about it ever since. So I thought I should come back and tell you that it rocked, and that you rock. Thanks for being a nurse. I hope that when I need help from a nurse s/he is as caring as you seem to be!

    ReplyDelete