Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

6.29.2009

Still pregnant, still kicking

37 6/7ths weeks...it sounds so...forlorn when said that way. Just round up, can't you? It's 38 weeks, sheesh...

I was sitting on the exam bench, "waist down" with a paper sheet waiting for Midwife to come in (they're words, not mine). I had shifted a few times to keep from getting stiff, and realized that the paper covering the vinyl bench was stuck to my butt. Not only did it stick to me, it ripped when I tried to unstick it. It ripped because I was sweating buckets in that room. I just knew that if I tried to stand up and re-arrange the paper, Midwife would come in when my bare behind was to the door, I just knew it.

Fortunately, she didn't, and I was able to peel my skin from the sticky vinyl. I searched in desperation for a vent to point my way, but I couldn't find one. Eh, I survived anyways. So Midwife comes in, looks over my chart and read "37 6/7 weeks, looks big." I was hoping she meant baby, and not me. It's one thing be to be insulted by strangers "oh wow, you're so huge. I *never* got that big!" But it's a whole 'nother story when someone who has seen the other end of you says, "Oh my word, you look like you swallowed an elephant!" Makes you feel like it's book report day and you have to admit you haven't even finished the book yet. *hangs head in shame*

She said she wished they had put me in an ultrasound room to make sure the baby is head down (which, I'm 99.99% sure he is. I know his toes *love* to play my ribs). She did some weird thing where she basically pressed on where his head/neck most likely would have been if he was head down, and he kicked my ribs, like she said he would if he was head down. But next week, I was told, they'd do the ultrasound. Midwife measured my uterus height, said "measures good." They always say that, never an exact number, always "good."

Then I got the good news that he's still at -1 station, but I'm dilated 2-3 centimeters. Then I got the bad news that she didn't think I'd go early. I was disappointed. I'm ready to have this kid and move on to another stage of life. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy being pregnant and I love it (most days), but isn't enough enough?! *sigh*

It'll get here soon enough, I know for sure I won't be pregnant for much longer. It's just the waiting that's getting to me. I'm not a patient person by any means. Midwife did say that they (Doc and Midwife) are on call tomorrow night and Thursday night. They're on each day, but share nights with The Center for Women. They have every fourth weekend and normally Mondays and Thursdays. However, today is Doc's anniversary so they swapped to let him go buy flowers for the Mrs. Doc.

MCM's Uncle Doug is in the hospital. He had a huge heart attack, one that made it necessary to be shocked several times, have an emergency heart cath, be transfered to a higher acuity hospital, be intubated and sedated for several days. He's still intubated and sedated, and they thing he came down with pneumonia from aspirating some time during those activities. So if you would, pray for him. MCM's mom (Doug's sister) and Shannon are down visiting, showing support and making his house ready for his return. They haven't been able to get a hold of the doctor, as of this afternoon. Maybe tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment